Address: 116 Nguyen Dinh Chieu, District 1, Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam
Division Head: Mr. Nguyen Dinh Hung, M Sc.
Telephone: (+84-8) 3822-9275
Function and Tasks:
– Researching and applying technologies in genetics and selective breeding to produce high quality breeders and improve desirable traits of selected aquaculture species;
– Researching and applying cell and tissue-culture technologies in breeding to generate new breeders and conserve gene pools of rare or high-value fish species for aquaculture development;
– Researching probiotic bacteria which are used for treatment of water quality, control of diseases and improvement of fish/shrimp health;
– Researching and developing innovative technologies for farming, engineering and equipment used in aquaculture to enhance yields and environmental protection;
– Experimental trials on newly introduced species, aqua-feed, chemicals, probiotics and other products or farming techniques utilized in aquaculture and validating their qualities as regulations;
– Training, consulting, other services and technology transfers in breeding, probiotic production and engineering works in aquaculture.
Activities and main outputs:
– Applying new technologies for production of all-male giant freshwater prawns (Macrobrachium rosenbergii);
– Studying the application of molecular markers in breeding-selection programs and population genetics of key species cultured in southern Vietnam;
– Researching the development of probiotic products (Bio-shrimp-RIA2 and Bio-Fish-RIA2) applied in aquaculture;
– Developing and transferring technologies for live food production for hatcheries of aquaculture species;
– Developing and transferring indoor and outdoor Recirculation Aquaculture Systems (RAS) and equipment applied in hatcheries and grow-out farms for striped catfish and shrimp; and
– Transferring hatchery technologies for aquarium fish.